Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Shade Yourself Beautiful

     I’m pretty much a very lazy person. I don’t like to go out as much as I used to because it requires me to put on makeup... and once I get started, I always find a reason why I can’t just walk out with only eyeliner or mascara; I always find a reason as to why I also need this on or that on. It quickly becomes a full face of makeup T^T If people were to see me on the street its either barefaced-look-like-the-walking-dead-day or everything-I-can-think-of-minus-eyeshadow-on-my-face-day. LOL. But no honestly, ever since I gained weight I can NOT live without the power of my sculpt/highlight powder!!! (Kim Kardashian def. made this her signature look... that and her nude lips)

     The purpose of contouring and highlighting is to create an optical illusion; it’s an attempt to create a more “ideal” oval-shaped face. I could write pages after pages about the different face shapes and how to correct them but honestly, that would take too long to write and I highly doubt anyone would read it all. Here’s a sketch my kid sister helped me with (that I used as part of my Book of Looks for makeup class *yeye*) that I will share with you all. If you don’t know what face shape you have, look in the mirror and outline your face with a lipstick (or washable marker) to help determine your shape.
**Curved lines means swirly circle blush on the cheek apples whereas the straight lines means to extend the blush towards the temples ;)



     I naturally have an oval-shaped face but ever since getting sick and gaining weight over the years, my face is now ROUND *smacks self in the face* Highlighting will help accentuate and bring features forward whereas contouring will help sculpt and minimize features (because darker shades will help recede any unwanted features).

     I know a lot of people use bronzers to contour their face but I personally haven't found any favourable bronzer. The majority of them are much too shimmery for my liking (who the hell ever heard of shimmering shadows? Please. This isn't a sparkley vampire whack sitatuation here...) My HG so far is the MAC Sculpt and Shape Duos which came out in 4 different combination compacts. The colour I bought was the Sculpt & Accentuate duo-powder that came out in 2007 (if I remember correctly). This is my baby. It never leaves my side. Anyone who would dare try to pry it from my hands will die. >:T



Bone beige/Emphasize: Palest cream & Tan
Accentuate/Sculpt: Pale blushed beige & Soft taupe brown

Lightsweep/Shadester: Soft peachy beige & Mid-tone leathery brown
Warm light/Definitive: Clean peach/Mid-tone reddish brown
     I foolishly only bought one back-up of this product and balled my eyes out when they discontinued this product. For MAC Pro members they have a variety of shape & sculpt colours but I wasn’t qualified for their membership at the time. Anyways, in 2009 they launched a line called D-Squared which had the exact duo-powder! Different packaging, exact same product. I was SO relieved, I bought lots of back-ups :D



Now that I’m eligible for the MAC Pro membership as a Makeup Artist, I can get a full-sized sculpting powder compact for when I hit pan with my duo. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet~


No comments:

Post a Comment